The UKMT Individual Maths Challenges are designed to promote problem solving and stimulate interest in Maths. There are three levels (Junior, Intermediate and Senior) which cover the Secondary school range and together they attract over 600,000 entries from over 4,000 schools and colleges.
On Thursday, 2nd February, 101 BSB Key Stage 4 students from both Castelldefels and Sitges campuses took the 60-minute, 25-intriguing-question multiple-choice test of the Intermediate Maths Challenge.
Mr Oldfield, Maths teacher in BSB Castelldefels, has been running this challenge for 5 years now. He explained: “The students enjoyed the activity and were looking forward to receiving their results to see if they had achieved either a Gold, Silver or Bronze achievement certificate or were invited to participate in either the Kangaroo Challenge or the British Mathematical Olympiad. Students are only invited to participate in these competitions if they have produced exceptional results in the Maths Challenge.”
Well, the results did not take long to arrive… And they were also amazing!
- 36 students attained a Certificate:
- 2 students attained a Gold certificate (Thibault, Year 11, BSB Castelldefels and Liu, Year 10, BSB Sitges)
- 11 students attained a Silver certificate
- 23 students attained a Bronze certificate
- 3 students qualified for the Kangaroo round of competition (Thibault, Liu and Monami, Year 9, BSB Castelldefels) which will take place on 16th March
- Liu also achieved the Best in School Certificate narrowly outscoring Thibault by a single question
“For the first time this year we have had over 100 students taking part in the Intermediate Maths Challenge. As the students volunteer to take the challenge, it shows the enthusiasm for Mathematics and competition that exists within the BSB. I would like to thank Mrs Sheehy, Maths teacher in BSB Sitges, for running the challenge for the students of the Sitges site, this being first time the challenge has been available to students for BSB Sitges”, Mr Oldfield said.
Congratulations and well done to the students! Certificates will be presented at Celebration Assemblies later this year.
Further details of the UKMT and its Maths Challenges can be found at following website: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/