The British School of Barcelona is proud to announce that the joint efforts of the whole BSB school community (students across all campuses, staff of all phases, parents and friends, school partners and supporters) have managed to raise no less than 7,600 euros during the 2018-2019 academic year for the children in Malayaka House Ugandan orphanage.
This amount will help finance one year of schooling for more than eight children who are being cared for in the orphanage.
Mrs Maria Kovac, IBDP and CAS Coordinator, stated: “We are fortunate enough to have access to an excellent education, and we want to create equal opportunities for Malayaka children providing funds to cover their school tuition.” And added: “BSB students are contributing to create a better future for Malayaka children and Malayaka House is contributing enormously, in turn, to the global mindset development of our students. We feel very proud of them and we have to celebrate every success.”
An Amazing Year of Events and Initiatives
This year our school community has organised and/or actively participated in all these activities and initiatives (not a comprehensive list):
- Launch of Malayaka House Friendship Bracelets on Friendship Friday in order to raise awareness and promote the #friendsofmalayaka campaign, a BSB Nexus initiative
- Primary Christmas Fair, at the BSB Sitges campus
- BSB Sponsored Walk, at the Olympic canal, a whole school event organised by the BSB Nexus CAS Committee
- BSB International Summer Fair, a whole school event organised by the BSB Castelldefels Primary team
- Primary Non-Uniform days, at BSB Castelldefels and BSB Sitges
- Fundraising sales of handmade products by the Secondary Enterprise Society, at BSB Castelldefels
- End-of-school-year Secondary event with raffles, stands and activities towards fundraising, at BSB Castelldefels
The BSB Support Dimension
BSB’s commitment to raise awareness about the importance of helping others in a variety of fundraising events and non-monetary initiatives is deeply rooted in the DNA of the school community.
This year our amazing community has taken part in many global and local activities to raise funds, support awareness campaigns or just help others (not a comprehensive list):
- Fundació Glorr, Banc d’Aliments Barcelona, Red Cross, Caritas, Un gest de calor – Christmas Grand Festive Collection
- Un Gest de Calor – Primary Fundraising Market to help refugees around the world
- #pelsvalents – Children’s cancer awareness campaign
- Geicam – Breast cancer research
- Water Aid – DaanUtsav, The Joy of Giving Week
- The Royal British Legion – Poppy Appeal, Remembrance Day
- Tongole Foundation – Funding of a solar panel for a school in Malawi
- Indigo Life – BSB International Summer Fair
- SolarBuddy – LightUp Learning Day project to tackle energy poverty in Papua New Guinea
- Sitges Park Residence – Students’ weekly visits to elderly residents
- Language Assistance Programme – Sharing to Learn project; English support in local schools
About Malayaka House
Malayaka House España is a non-profit, international humanitarian organisation that works to guarantee the rights of Ugandan children and offer them a better life.
For more information, please visit: Malayaka House España