To mark International Day of Women and Girls in Science on 11th February, we want to join UN in celebrating women and girls who are leading innovation and call for actions to remove all barriers that hold them back. It is a day to inspire girl students to keep working to ensure full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls, and further achieve gender equality and empowerment.
We’d like to start off by celebrating the outstanding task of the Secondary and Pre-University Science department at The British School of Barcelona, who challenge our students to achieve their best potential, with a fantastic team that includes no less than 7 women teachers: Marie, Alice, Sarah, Maria, Encarna, Rachel and Amy.
We’d like to continue by celebrating our historic of girl students achieving prestigious Outstanding Learner Awards annually as Top Performing learners at both (I)GCSE and A Level exams:
- Sara – Top in Spain in Biology
- Claudia – Top in Spain in Biology
- Marta – High Achievement in Biology
- Claudia – High Achievement in Physics
We’d also like to celebrate first-year BSB Alumni who graduated last June and are currently studying Science in top universities in UK and Spain:
- Gabriela, Biomedical Sciences, Edinburgh Napier University
- Alexandra, Natural Sciences, Durham University
- Anna, Biological Sciences/Immunology, University of Bristol West of England
- Mari, Biomedical Sciences, Royal Holloway, University of London
- Cristina, Veterinary Science, Cardenal Herrera University (CEU)
- Andrea, Biology, Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
- Noa, Veterinary, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB)
And we also want to celebrate all of our women BSB Alumni who successfully pursued a career in Science after leaving BSB, such as (to name but a few!):
- Patricia, Aircraft Design MSc Graduate at Cranfield University
- Romi, Bachelor of Science (BSc) Biomedical Sciences (Hons) at University of Reading
- Claire, Master of Engineering – MEng Mechanical Engineering, at the University of Edinburgh
Finally, we would like to keep encouraging current Pre-University girl students to participate fully in science and contribute to narrowing the existing gender gap in science! We are proud to congratulate Year 13 girl students who have received amazing offers for September 2021 and look forward to many more!
- Abril, Year 13 IB Student – Imperial College London – offer for Materials with Nuclear Engineering
- Maria Year 13 A Level Student – Imperial College London – offer for Medical Biosciences
Join us in celebrating #WomenInScience!