The British School of Barcelona is part of the global Cognita family of schools. We are taking our responsibilities as a group very seriously and are adhering to the guidance of the Ministry of Health and local governments in Spain, holding daily meetings to adapt as the situation develops and using our learning from our schools in Asia to ensure we keep our children safe. Since June, The British School of Barcelona is open for teaching and learning onsite only for some year groups and a reduced number of students (following guidance from authorities) with the rest of our teachers and pupils doing remote and online teaching and learning.
We’re managing our response in a way that is proportionate, calm and informed by our experience around the world. We will update this page regularly as the situation develops and/or as we implement further measures to keep our community safe.
Currently, The British School of Barcelona is closed and our teachers and pupils are doing remote teaching and learning.
- 10th June 2020. Royal Decree – Regulation governing the New Normality
- 6th June 2020. State of alarm Update, sifth extension
- 25th May 2020. Map of sanitary regions and de-escalation phases in Catalonia
- 23rd May 2020. State of alarm Update, fifth extension
- 8th May 2020. State of alarm Update, fourth extension
- 4th May 2020. De-escalation frequent questions
- 25th April 2020. State of Alarm Update, third extension
- 15th April 2020. Information regarding the school year
- 11th April 2020. State of Alarm Update, second extension
- 28th March 2020. State of Alarm Update, first extension
- 25th March 2020. Update regarding EBAU exams
- 25th March 2020. Update regarding the State of Alarm
- 24th March 2020. Update from Pearson Edexcel regarding General Qualification exams in May and June 2020: International Centres (not including UK)
- 23rd March 2020. News about the IB: May 2020 examinations will no longer be held
- 23rd March 2020. Update from Cambridge International on May/June 2020 exams
- 18th March 2020. State of Alarm Modification
- 16th March 2020. Announcement by Ministerio de Interior regarding the restoration of land border controls
- 14th March 2020. Governamental Royal Decree 463/2020 – State of Alarm
- 12th March 2020. Official announcement from Generalitat de Catalunya
- 6th March 2020. Letter from Germà Rigau, Cognita Spain Managing Director
- 30th January 2020, World Health Organisation’s declaration that the coronavirus is a public health emergency of international concern
WHAT WE’RE DOING
At The British School of Barcelona we have established a remote and online teaching and learning programme for all students.
We are committed to keeping our children on track with their learning at all times therefore we will inform you of how this will be taking place and how to access the online platforms that have been set up for your child.
We would like to share with you a document from Fidelma Murphy, Director of Education in Cognita Spain, explaining how we are organising our Online Teaching & Learning Programme at The British School of Barcelona with our students and briefly explaining the pedagogy behind this type of learning.
The symptoms of coronavirus, as given by the Ministry of Health, are:
- A cough
- High temperature
- Shortness of breath
However, these symptoms are shared by many other illnesses such as cold and flu.
If you, your child or a member of your family begins to feel unwell with these symptoms, please stay at home and call 061 (Cataluña).
Please also report these symptoms to the school along with details of any travel from the last 14 days.
WHO TO CONTACT
Parents and pupils should contact the school to report any symptoms, to ask any questions or to share any concerns:
- General enquiries
- Teaching and Learning
please visit this page
- IT support
A reminder that the email you can use for any queries directly related to the COVID-19 is as follows:
Based on the World Health Organisation’s declaration that the coronavirus is now a public health emergency of international concern and the subsequent raising of the risk level in Spain, we have decided to cancel any private visit to schools and any Open Days until the school goes back to normal to ensure the safety of our students, teachers and staff.
However, we remain virtually open and our Admissions team is available online to guide you through the admissions process and offer the best personal attention.
Thank you for helping us take all the appropriate precautions at this time. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
The Ministerio de Sanidad is advising that you may need to get medical advice if you’ve recently travelled to Spain from somewhere with a higher risk of coronavirus.
These places can be seen here.
The Spanish Government also has a regularly updated listed of countries and areas with implications for returning travellers. If you are concerned about any recent travel, you can visit this page.
The Government has published advice for how to reduce the risk from coronavirus in education settings.
To help stop the virus from spreading:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards – for at least 20 seconds
- Wash your hands with soap and water often and particularly after:
- breaks and sports activities
- before and after cooking or eating
- on arrival at any childcare or education setting
- after using the toilet
- before leaving and after returning home
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
The full advice poster can be found on the Government’s website.
USEFUL LINKSThere are a number of additional resources that you may find useful for further information on the coronavirus, the Government and international response and how best to talk about the outbreak with your children. Links to these can be found below:
- Ministerio de Sanidad
- World Health Organisation updates
- Guide from the charity Mind on how to talk to children about the outbreak
- BBC: How to talk to children about the outbreak
- Coronavirus overview
- Spain Government coronavirus updates
- World Health Organisation updates
- Travel advice for Coronavirus
- How to talk to children about the outbreak
- ITV coverage of the Cognita Response
- Coronavirus – Tips for Parents