Music at BSB
Music forms an integral part of student life at The British School of Barcelona, both in curriculum time and in our extensive enrichment and peripatetic lesson offering. During their time in school, every student will have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, experience the thrill of performing and listen to a wide variety of live music. Throughout all stages of our student’s musical development we support and encourage them to become creative, confident and expressive individuals, with a passion for music of all genres
The BSB School Music Programme allows our students of all ages to experience a combination of classroom teaching, co-curricular peripatetic instrumental and vocal tuition, opportunities to join a choir and play in ensembles as well as the chance to learn from professional musicians.
- In Early Years, pupils of The British School of Barcelona are encouraged to sing and explore sounds. They participate in music activities led by a music specialist and have access to musical instruments throughout the day.
- In Primary, music is taught in a fully equipped designated classroom by specialist teachers. Students of our international school learn through experimenting with different forms of musical expression such as singing, playing and composing.
- In Secondary, the large, purpose built music department houses a main teaching room, fully equipped with a wide range of professional instruments and music technology and five practise rooms. Music is taught at KS3, GCSE and A Level.
- Co curricular peripatetic instrument lessons are available on an extensive range of instruments and instrumental specialists work alongside BSB School teachers to deliver these lessons.
- Music is an important part of our Enriched Curriculum and there are a number of choirs, bands, Samba Bands and music theory clubs that students can join.
- Our Theatre allows us to run a full range of musical activities that support our pupils’ learning, including regular concerts, recitals and performances. In collaboration with the Drama department we have undertaken productions of major shows and musicals. Every year professional and amateur performers on tour from all over the world come to the British school to share their expertise with our students.
The music department runs a busy enrichment programme which caters for a variety of musical interests. We have a range of choirs, orchestras and ensembles available and we actively encourage students of all musical abilities to participate. As a member of one of these groups, students will have the opportunity to perform in regular concerts and events both in school and throughout the wider community.
Students receiving peripatetic instrumental tuition can sit practical and theoretical music exams with the prestigious Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM). These exams take place at the end of the summer term.
Students can also sit Rockschool exams on drum kit, guitar, bass guitar, piano and vocals. Rockschool are the world’s leading pop and rock music exams provider.
For more information about ABRSM / Rockschool, please visit:
Guitar students offered a live recital to their parents and classmates as they prepare for their ABRSM exams.
No less than 70 Students at the BSB have registered for practical instrument exams with ABRSM in the May/June exam period!
On Tuesday, 26th September, the BSB held the first formal ABRSM and Rockschool Music Awards Ceremony. Mr Hebden (Director of Learning – Arts) and Mr Petrie (Head of Secondary and Pre-U) presented our students with their Music certificates in a very emotive session which will now become an annual event.
Peripatetic Music Lessons
All students at BSB (from Year 3 at BSB Sitges, BSB Castelldefels & BSB nexus, from Year 1 at BSB City) have the opportunity to receive one-to-one instrumental tuition on a chosen instrument.
Whether they wish to learn purely for fun, to achieve ABRSM/RockSchool qualifications or to support their GCSE/A-Level music studies, we have a dedicated team of expert teachers to support and guide them along the way.
Lessons take place before, during and after the school day and currently 295 students across our campuses enjoy weekly instrumental or singing lessons with 9 specialist Music teachers.
We offer tuition in:
- Trumpet (subject to availability)
If you wish to enrol your child in one-to-one instrumental lessons, please fill out the form below and one of our music teachers will be in contact with you.
Our students achieve excellent results on their music exams.
As of the 2020-2021 school year, all students taking the RockSchool examination passed, including 2 distinctions and 8 merits, and most students taking ABRSM Performance Grade exams passed with Merit!
These fantastic results evidence the hard work and determination of our students and the pedagogical expertise of our expert teachers.