Music forms an integral part of student life at The British School of Barcelona, both in curriculum time and in our extensive enrichment and peripatetic lesson offering. During their time in school, every student will have the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, experience the thrill of performing and listen to a wide variety of live music. Throughout all stages of our student’s musical development we support and encourage them to become creative, confident and expressive individuals, with a passion for music of all genres
The BSB School Music Programme allows our students of all ages to experience a combination of classroom teaching, co-curricular peripatetic instrumental and vocal tuition, opportunities to join a choir and play in ensembles as well as the chance to learn from professional musicians.
- In Early Years, pupils of The British School of Barcelona are encouraged to sing and explore sounds. They participate in music activities led by a music specialist and have access to musical instruments throughout the day.
- In Primary, music is taught in a fully equipped designated classroom by specialist teachers. Students of our international school learn through experimenting with different forms of musical expression such as singing, playing and composing.
- In Secondary, the large, purpose built music department houses a main teaching room, fully equipped with a wide range of professional instruments and music technology and five practise rooms. Music is taught at KS3, GCSE and A Level.
- Co curricular peripatetic instrument lessons are available on an extensive range of instruments and instrumental specialists work alongside BSB School teachers to deliver these lessons.
- Music is an important part of our Enriched Curricular and there are a number of choirs, bands, Samba Bands and music theory clubs that students can join.
- Our Theatre allows us to run a full range of musical activities that support our pupils’ learning, including regular concerts, recitals and performances. In collaboration with the Drama department we have undertaken productions of major shows and musicals. Every year professional and amateur performers on tour from all over the world come to the British school to share their expertise with our students.
The music department runs a busy enrichment programme which caters for a variety of musical interests. We have a range of choirs, orchestras and ensembles available and we actively encourage students of all musical abilities to participate. As a member of one of these groups, students will have the opportunity to perform in regular concerts and events both in school and throughout the wider community.
In 2020, we are very excited to be partnering with St. George’s School in Rome on a music exchange, with concerts in the BSB Theatre and in the 1200 seat Sala Sinopoli of the Parco Della Musica, Rome.
Peripatetic Music Lessons
All students at the BSB (from Year 3) have the opportunity to receive one-to-one instrumental tuition on a chosen instrument with a dedicated team of expert teachers to support and guide them along the way.
Follow this link to learn more about our Instrument Lessons.
Students receiving peripatetic instrumental tuition can sit practical and theoretical music exams with the prestigious Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM). These exams take place at the end of the summer term.
Students can also sit Rockschool exams on drum kit, guitar, bass guitar, piano and vocals. Rockschool are the world’s leading pop and rock music exams provider.
For more information about ABRSM / Rockschool, please visit: