At the British School of Barcelona we believe in the long term benefits of music education to form a lifelong love and understanding of music.
Our Music Programme allows our students to experience a combination of classroom teaching, co-curricular instrumental and vocal tuition, opportunities to play in ensembles and the chance to learn from professional musicians.
- In Early Years, pupils are encouraged to sing and explore sounds. They participate in music activities led by a music specialist and have access to musical instruments throughout the day.
- In Primary, music is taught in a fully equipped designated classroom by specialist teachers. Students learn through experimenting with different forms of musical expression such as singing, playing and composing.
- In Secondary, the large, purpose built music department houses a main teaching room, fully equipped with a wide range of professional instruments and music technology and five practise rooms. Music is taught at KS3, GCSE and A Level.
- Co curricular peripatetic instrument lessons are available on an extensive range of instruments and instrumental specialists work alongside BSB teachers to deliver these lessons.
- Music is an important part of our Enriched Curricular and there are a number of choirs, bands, Samba Bands and music theory clubs that students can join.
- Our Theatre allows us to run a full range of musical activities that support our pupils’ learning, including regular concerts, recitals and performances. In collaboration with the Drama department we have undertaken productions of major shows and musicals. Every year professional and amateur performers on tour from all over the world come to the BSB to share their expertise with our students.
Students can sit practical and theoretical music exams with the prestigious Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM). These exams take place at the end of the summer term and international examiners come to the school.